11 February 2009

Bellyfeet Don't Squeak

Dear slug,

My shoes squeak when I walk. I hate it. How can I make it stop?

~Perplexed in Annapolis

Dear Perlexpolis,

Being a member of a historically unshod species, I'm flattered - and a little perplexed myself - that you asked me this. I can't answer from personal experience, but I talked to an ant who knew a butterfly who was chased by a dog who knew a human who once said that baby powder or petroleum oil could be used. Both sound a little messy to me, and both require first figuring out exactly which part of the shoe is squeaking so the substance can be applied. This assumes that the squeak comes from two materials rubbing together. If the squeak of the sole against the floor is the problem, you can try powdering the bottom of the shoe - just becareful when walking on slick floors.

You can try these methods, but I make no guarantees. If you try my own special home remedy, however, I am sure you will have success:

Go barefoot.

Slughugs,
~A nameless slug in the Pacific Northwest

No comments: